We want everyone to have a safe holiday. The holiday season is all about joy and family. It can also involve a lot of open flames and cause serious property damage. When a home is filled with flammable objects, the risk of fire can increase up to 35 percent. Don’t let needless disasters happen to you when they can easily be prevented.
We at Short Pump Heating and Air are a part of your community. It is important to us that our customers remain safe and sound through the New Year and beyond. To ensure that everyone enjoys a safe holiday season, we offer the following tips.
The holidays are all about friends and families getting together over a holiday meal. The excitement of celebrating can make people distracted and forget that there is something cooking on the stove, until the house becomes filled with smoke….
To keep this from happening, carry a pot holder with you as you leave the kitchen to remind you that the stove is on and something is simmering. Always keep a fire extinguisher within easy reach in the kitchen. Before the season even begins, check your smoke alarms to make sure they are is in good working order.
Many people like to enjoy a tasty, deep-fried turkey. Regardless of how cold it is outside, make sure the deep fryer is outside, a minimum of 10 feet from your home.
Tis the season for candles, and they are beautiful and romantic. They can also turn into a serious fire hazard. Make sure your candles are placed on a sturdy base and never leave your candles lit when unattended, even when leaving the room for a short time. Don’t forget that children are curious and will be drawn to lit candles. Their clothing and hair can catch fire in seconds.
Consider LED candles as a safe alternative to regular candles.
Christmas trees dry out quickly and easily. They can be a stunning part of the holiday tradition, but the earlier you buy one, the sooner it will become dry and flammable. Make sure any outlet used for lights isn’t overcrowded. Don’t place your gorgeous tree near a space heater. Remember to water your tree every day to prevent it from drying and becoming more flammable.
Fireplaces turn magical during the holiday season. The chimney, after all, is Santa’s entryway into the house. Never allow children to be unattended when a fireplace is lit. Make sure ashes are moistened and disposed of properly. Always make sure the fire is put out before going to bed.
Check your holiday lights before you hang them as the strings can become frayed with use. Decorate the outside of your home by using clips instead of nails when hanging strings of light.
With fireplaces and candles being lit, matches can be left within reach of curious children. Take that extra step and keep matches and lighters out of children’s reach.
Everyone at Short Pump Heating and Repair wishes you a joyful and safe holiday season. Call us at
(804) 364-9040 for any inspection. We care about the safety of your home. We are always here to help with your heating, cooling, and plumbing repair needs.